♪ (old-school video game music) ♪ – “Portal.” Is that
what this is called, Portal? – This is one of those games
where I was like, “I should probably play this,”
but I never got to it. – This is like a puzzle game, right? – Oh! Portal!
I know this one. It’s something about the cake being a lie. – (Finebros) Today we’re going
to have you try out a few levels. – Okay. – (Finebros) Think you’re ready?
– I’m excited. This is gonna be good. I feel like I have a good chance
at winning these puzzle games, but honestly I don’t know. ♪ (in game: jazzy music) ♪
– (singsong) Here we go! – We’ve got some funky music playing. – Oh, okay, first-person. – What is that? That counting-down thing? Why am I being timed already? – Do I have to get out in a minute? How– how do I control myself? – W… S… A… (intercom turns on)
– (GLaDOS) Hello, and again, welcome to the Aperture Science
computer-aided Enrichment Center. Keep in mind that,
although fun and learning are the primary goals
of all Enrichment Center activities, serious injuries may occur.
– This is really weird. – (GLaDOS) The portal
will open in three… two… – That was weird.
– (GLaDOS) …one. – Just throwing me in, all right. – Oh, look at that woman.
What is she doing? (warbling)
♪ (jazzy music) ♪ – Oh wait… (warbling)
Oh my gosh! Is that me? – Oh! Oh, hey! – Oh! Ah, whoaaaa! – All right, you know what?
I’m done with this trippy stuff. Let’s go. – I love it already. Okay, now what? – (in game: air hisses)
– Whoa. What are these blocks? – I don’t even know what’s going on.
– (in game: air hisses) (cube clatters) – E to pick up an object. – Mm, okay, so this is an easy one.
Just pick up the box. – Do I place it here?
(button beeps) – And go on the thing.
– (GLaDOS) Excellent. Please proceed into the chamberlock
after completing each test. – I’m glad we’re starting off easy.
(door whirs) – I am kind of disappointed
that there’s no elevator music. – Can I go down the hall? – (British accent) Aperture lab–
laboratories, 01. – All right, let’s do this. (in game: faint humming) – Oh gosh, I hope I didn’t hurt myself. (warbling) – (hushed) Oh, what is happening? What–? I-I can’t get to the thing. Oh, here’s the cube. – Oh, is this– oh!
Okay, I see what’s going on. All right. – Come with me.
(buzzing noise) – Oh… where’s the portal? (buzzing noise)
(clang) – Oop. – Is this gonna turn back? (warbling)
– There we go, okay. (buzzing and faint humming)
– I guess it’s timed. – And then– (gasps)
now I have to take it back. Oh, sh– god, this is so confusing. (clang)
Okay, gooooo! (buzzing noise)
(cube bangs into something) Where did the block go? No. (warbling)
There you are! Okay. We need to get you–
and we need to go, go, go, go go. Yes. – And then we wait for the other room, and then we put the thing
down on the thing. (button beeps)
– (GLaDOS) Perfect. Please move quickly to the chamberlock. – Awesome. (faint humming)
Now what? – Now I can leave.
(warbling) Yes! – All right, uh, time
to go through there. Yep. – Take me to a harder level. On second thought,
don’t take me to a harder level. I’ll probably be there for hours. – (GLaDOS) You’re doing very well.
– Thank you! – (GLaDOS) Please be advised
that a noticeable taste of blood is not part of any test protocol. – Sounds dangerous. I’m ready. (door whirs)
– Um, let’s go through the thing. And, uh– whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. (buzzing)
– Oh, okay! What is that? – Think that’s the gun right there. – It’s the portal gun thingie. – Can I touch the portal gun?
(gun zaps) Oh!
– (GLaDOS) Very good. You are now in possession
of the Aperture Science handheld portal device. With it, you can create your own portals. Under no circumstances should you–
(static, GLaDOs stops talking) (harsh static)
– That was probably something important. ♪ (suspenseful music) ♪
– So maybe I need to create a portal and go into it?
(gun zaps) Like that?
(in game: bloop) Oh, look, this is open now.
This wasn’t open before. – What?
(gun zaps) Whoa! It’s me!
I wanna chase me. Okay. (laughs)
I like this. Oh, it opened. Cool. – All right, let’s go.
(gun zaps) (door whirs) (footsteps) – What is this?
– (GLaDOS) Please proceed… – Yes! Level 03.
– …to the chamberlock. – All right, I need to get over there. But let’s put a portal there.
(clicks tongue) Ooh! ♪ (suspenseful music) ♪ (gun zaps)
– How do I shoot the red one? Wait, where is this gonna take me?
What the– where am I? Oh, did I make it over the things? Sweet. (gun zaps)
– (GLaDOS) To ensure the safe performance of all authorized– – I killed the camera. Okay.
Oh my gosh! – (GLaDOS) …testing apparatus. – Now how do I get up there? Let’s just shoot things
until we feel like it’s right. – Is there any way
I could just walk over there? (gun zaps)
– Oh. Everywhere I go, it’s the same. – (sighs) Is this the same room? – Okay, this is the spawning point. Any time I shoot,
I somehow end up in this exact spot. – Okay, so I have to get
to that elevator over there. – Oh, I could do that
and then go through– Oh! Oh! Ohhh! – If I put one there,
and then if I go through the orange one, I end up at the blue one! – (GLaDOS) Well done. Remember: the Aperture Science
Bring Your Daughter to Work Day is the perfect time to have her tested. (intercom turns off) – I’m actually surprised
that she’s not degrading me that much. – All right, here we go, boys. – (GLaDOS) Welcome to test chamber–
– Level 04, baby! – (GLaDOS) You’re doing quite well. – I like how she says “quite well.” It makes me feel like
I’m actually doing a good job. – There’s no cube here?
Like, there’s no cube? (in game: air hisses)
(cube clatters) – Oh, there’s the cube! – I could drop down here,
make a portal here, grab this. – Grab this thing,
and I bring it over here. (button beeps)
– (GLaDOS) One second. Excellent work. – Boom! Science!
– (GLaDOS) …protocol. We will not monitor the next test chamber. You will be entirely on your own. Good luck. – All right, then.
So I’m on my own? – All right, we’re on level 05 now. – (grumpily) You said
you wouldn’t monitor me! – Uh, okay, so that’s my orange portal.
That’s a cube. – We need two blocks. – Oh, I know, I know. (gun zaps) Wait, how do I get up there now? Dang it. (gun zaps)
(warbling) – Why is– how do I get– oh. (warbling) – Okay, what do I do? I need to get over there,
to the other platform so that I can get the little block. – So do one over there
and go through here. – Aaah! Which one do I put it on though?
There’s so many? (button beeps)
– So pro. So pro. – But where’s the other block? – I don’t know what to do! Is there one down here? There is! – Oh.
(gun zaps) (clang)
– Bam. Let’s go. – I’m getting good at this now
’cause I’m figuring out what I have to do. – This is really bringing up my ego here. Not only am I a woman character,
but I’m getting good at this game. – Easy peasy mac n’ cheesy. (intercom turns on)
(GLaDOS) As part of a required test protocol, our previous statement
suggesting that we would not monitor this chamber was an outright fabrication. I knew it, you bitch!
– (GLaDOS) Good job. – All right, what do I do now? Oh, okay, I see.
I have to fall. (gun zaps) (faint humming)
– Whoa. (buzzing noise)
(thud) – Whoa. (chuckles) – Aah! Oh shoot. Ugh. – I’m on this glass thing?
(zaps gun) (anxious groan)
– (GLaDOS) Certain objects may be vital to your success.
– I don’t care! I’m so scared! Am I allowed to go through? Okay, okay. – Now we know that GLaDOS can lie to us. Maybe this whole thing’s a lie. – All right, let’s go! – Level 06, here we go. – (GLaDOS) While safety
is one of many Enrichment… – What is this?
– (GLaDOS) …Center goals, the Aperture Science High Energy Pellet can and has caused permanent disabilities
such as vaporization. Oh, so that will vaporize me? – Something could
potentially kill me now, I think. – That thing is saying,
“Don’t touch the flying object.” – Whaaaaaa!
(explosion) Whoa! I should not have done that. (sharp buzzing)
(giggling) Why did I do that? Oh, I’m like… okay.
A second life. I’m not gonna do that. (sharp buzzing)
(boom) – That is somehow connected to this. I need to get up there. – So they want me to put
the weird floating thing over here. Um… shoot!
(gun zaps) Nope.
(gun zaps) Come on, they don’t let me shoot anywhere. No!
(warbling) Oh, I can shoot on the floor.
Oooooh! It’s coming closer.
How do I move you? What if I just nudge it? Nnnnnnnudging it! (sudden crash) – Oh, I died. – What if I put it here
and the plasma ball hit up there? (faint buzzing) – Yeah, there we go.
– (GLaDOS) Unbelievable. You, subject name here, must be the pride…
– “Subject name here?” – (GLaDOS) …your hometown here.
(intercom turns off) (door whirs)
– I don’t even have a name. – (sighs) Okay. – Okay, so we need
to get this guy to go up here. – Automatically, I’m thinking
I gotta put a portal there. – All right, so I think we’re
gonna need to kill that first, right? (gun zaps) So now it’s gonna go up there. – Oh! That one was easy.
– (GLaDOS) Now use the Aperture Science Unstationary scaffold
to reach the chamberlock. – So I gotta get on that thing. – Okay, I gotta reach the chamberlock. (clicks mouse)
(gun zaps) (anxious groan) Aw, I didn’t make it. (surprised) Wait, what?
Can I not shoot that wall? Aw, dang it. – I’m gonna try and shoot here,
and then… higher, and then jump. I gotta go. (groans) No, it’s right there! (frazzled) How is this not working? (gun zapping) – No. This isn’t– ooh! There is a thing up there. – Oh, I see– okay.
So I’m gonna have to put a portal up there and get on right when the time’s right. – Wha– (relieved) oh. – Now I just gotta jump without falling. – All right, in! Success! – (in game: buzzing noise)
– Level 07, complete. (door whirs)
So far, I’m doing a lot better than I thought I would, to be honest. – So we are in level 08 now. – (GLaDOS) Please note that we have
added a consequence for failure. Any contact with
the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark
on your official testing record… – (hushed) Jeez.
– (GLaDOS) …followed by death. Good luck.
(intercom turns off) – All right, so I guess
I can’t touch the floor. This is me being five years old and pretending the floor
is lava all over again. – The floor is now officially lava. – Oh, I have trained for this as a child. – No, but that’s what
I liked about this game. (gun zaps)
There weren’t consequences for failing. (warbling) The fail–
(explosion) What? (pulsating hum) (explosion)
– [Bleep]. What the heck? I thought she meant
I couldn’t touch that stuff. (pulsating hum) (explosion)
– I need to think about this. – But if I put the portal there,
then it’s gonna go through here and bounce against that wall
and then back into the portal. – (sudden gasp) I know. Right there,
there needs to be a portal. Yeah. – Okay! So I capture it right here, and it goes through and then it
bounces off there, into there. – So once it goes through here
I can have it… (gun zaps)
Oh no. Okay, I think I got it. I think I got it now.
It will come out through here now. Yeah. – Yes? Let’s put it there. Oh no! We needed to put it there. (gasps) Oh no! I got it. (explosion)
Yeaaah! – What’s happening? Okay, now I have to figure out
what to do now. – So now I need to get on that platform… so let’s go through here first. (warbling) (gun zaps) – There we go. (platform hums)
– Oh my god. Am I already moving? Okay, this is really scary
’cause I don’t wanna fall off. Okay, and then… JUMP! – (GLaDOS) Very impressive.
– Nooooooo! – Let’s get on to level 09.
– (GLaDOS) Very impressive. Please note that any appearance of danger is merely a device to enhance
your testing experience. – (sarcastically) “Enhance.” – I still don’t understand
why I’m being tested. – Next level. Number 09.
– (GLaDOS) The Enrichment Center regrets to inform you that
this next test is impossible. – Oh. – Okay, level 09’s impossible. I mean, it can’t be impossible
’cause they made 10 more. – I gotta throw– take that.
Put it over there. – Oop. Wait, what happened?
What the heck? (cube clatters)
I broke it. – Oh, but this makes
all the cubes disappear. – (GLaDOS) The Enrichment Center apologizes for this clearly broken test chamber. – No, no, no, no.
It’s not broken. I got this. Okay.
(cube clangs) Let’s just see what happens
if we go through here. – Oh! Now make another portal? (intercom turns on)
– (GLaDOS) Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
– Ooh, I really want that cake. – Is that supposed
to be my reward at the end? Oh wait, this is that game
where they’re always talking about how the cake is a lie or whatever. – So now we have to stay right here.
You wait right there. And now we’re gonna
shoot a portal through there. (gun zaps) Aah, it’s not going through! (cube clangs)
– Ooh, can I–? Wait. (types)
(whispers) And then… (gun zaps) Heh! – And then make a new portal,
like, there maybe? Yes?
(cube clangs) Yeah, I move it down here. Okay, yeah, now let’s fall together. Good. – Let’s go.
(clicking mouse) Bam!
– (GLaDOS) Fantastic. You remained resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of extreme pessimism. (intercom turns off)
– I know. I totally got– Oh, so that’s the test. It was like, “Can you still succeed
when you’re surrounded by pessimism?” (door creaks)
– Let’s go, boys. – Okay, so where is the door?
Where’s the other portal thing? Okay, I can’t see it. – All right, I have to get up there so… – Up– oh, it’s up there. – So what if I just put it on the floor… (warbling)
…and then- waaargh! (giggling) Oh gosh, that was so trippy. – (anxiously) I’m slightly concerned. (warbling)
Okay, that worked. – All right, so this one is if
you jump down it’s gonna shoot me up, and then there’s a portal
up there, so let’s go. – The signs are telling me
to fall down, I think. Yeah? (irritated) This is so confusing. The orange portal is up there. Okay, so create a portal. Okay.
(warbling) Okay, what’s going on?
– (GLaDOS) Spectacular. (gun zaps)
– Oh, so I gotta jump down there and I’ll fly out from right there. – And… eeeeeh! YES!
– (GLaDOS) Spectacular. – I understand physics!
– (GLaDOS) …how a portal affects forward momentum. – So now I know how…
how you can use a portal to do what I just did. – That was good. I liked that.
Don’t really know what I did. – All right, so here’s where my portal is. – Okay, so this is like
the opposite kind of deal, where it’s on the floor this time. – So we’re gonna put
a portal up there, I think, and jump down here. – Oh… whoa. Uh…
– (GLaDOS) Momentum… – I like that.
– (GLaDOS) …a function of mass and velocity, is conserved between portals. In layman’s terms: speedy-thing goes in,
speedy-thing comes out. – Yes, I understood that. And alley-oop!
(warbling) Whoa-ho, physics! (warbling)
– (high-pitched) Aaaah! There we go. – I think I’m on level 11. Yeah! – (Finebros) That’s where
we’re gonna stop for today. – (disappointed) Oh. – Aw, man, no! – I really liked it and was
also really confused by it. – I like that it challenges
you to think a little bit. Not many games do that nowadays. – I’ve never really played
puzzle games before. It’s always been like,
“Let’s just shoot at things and kill things that have
blood coming out of them.” With this one, you’re shooting
a different kind of things and you’re working your way through walls and it makes you feel smart. – Thanks for watching us
play Portal on the React channel. – What games should we play next?
Let us know in the comments. – Subscribe to get new gaming episodes. – Bye, everyone. We’ll see ya next time. – Pew! Pew! Bye, guys! ♪ (old-school video game music) ♪